WHAT IS A SHAMAN?
(as quoted by Curandero / Native Healer Don Oscar Miro-Quesada)
A Shaman is one who develops a personal and intimate relationship with the Unseen world for the purpose of being of service as a healer. This relationship is cultivated experientially through selfinduced altered states of consciousness, ritual ceremony, and refined energetic awareness. Shamanism is not a religion. It is a spiritual practice grounded in a reverent awareness that the world is animated, conscious, and energetically interdependent.
- Everything is alive (animation/vitalism). Everything manifests a physical form from the same animated essence. The shaman attends to this essence.
- Everything is conscious (vigilance/observation). Everything watches us. The world is mirrored within us. The shaman learns to be a visionary observer.
- Everything is interconnected (relationship/reciprocity). Everything responds to and is in interdependent relationship to everything else. The shaman is a mediator of these interconnections and interdependent relationships.
- Everything transforms (movement/change). Matter is dense form of spirit. Spirit is the subtle form of matter. Everything is in vibrational flux. The shaman is an agent of change.
- Everything responds to focused intention (mindful/attention). Proper intention and purity of motive are indispensable for all heartfelt shamanic practice.
The shaman must thoroughly know him or herself in order to help others. The shaman’s task is to come into right relationship and reverent communion with the Seen and Unseen world, so as to mediate between worlds on behalf of community.
THE PATH OF THE UNIVERSAL SHAMAN INVOLVES TRANSFORMING OUR WORLD THROUGH SACRED LIVING.
Earth spirituality consists of communion with nature through:
- Reverent Ceremony
· Sacred Sound/Music/Song
· Acceptance of Self and Others in Sacred Relationship
· Love of Service
· Joy in Living
· Focused Intention
· Mindful Attention
· Ritual Stillness and Movement
· Appreciation of Beauty and Creative Expression
· Open Trust (sacred reciprocal interaction and communication with both the Seen and the Unseen worlds)
Spiritual mastery and the attainment of karmic equilibrium are only possible through balance of Visionary Knowledge/Insight, Compassionate Feeling/Unlimited Love, Right Action/Industriousness.
On Becoming a Shamanic Healer
The practice of Energetic Healing involves learning techniques for scanning, clearing, energizing, balancing and transmuting energy.
One develops an Open-Ended Creative Healing Practice whether it is to choose music, dance, art, writing or performing, the development of some form of creative expression is essential to the recovery and integration of the wounded healer archetype and the shamanic dream artist.
Shamanic Journey on behalf of others whether to intercede on behalf of friends, family or the community, requires the need to attain mastery in the art of soul retrievals, illness extractions, the functions of a psychopomp, ceremonies for sacred alignment with the Earth Mother, and how to perform propitiatory spirit offerings to the Seen and Unseen worlds.
How do Shamanic Healers Heal?
1. By Example
- Living with an open heart in reverence to our Mother Earth
- Making each gesture and act a conscious gift to the Universe
2. By Physical Mastery
- Working on or with mind/body systems
- Using massage, herbs, nutrition, acupuncture, bodywork, ethnobotany
3. By Energetic Mastery
- Affecting the energy body directly
- Clearing – aligning – energizing – stabilizing
- Using Reiki, bioenergetics, crystals, sound, pranic healing,breathwork
4. By Divination
- Providing meaning and context, supplying information
- Paying attention, listening, observing
- Using visionary trance, dreamwork, scrying (forms of divination)
5. By Mediation with Spirit (Unseen or Energetic) World
- Addressing the conditions affecting the subtle energy body
- Using heartfelt prayer, ceremony, sacred art, ritual offerings, soul retrieval, shamanic psychopomp, Shamanic journeying to upper or lower worlds to retrieve answers to a specific topic