This information is an extract from Dr. Blaylock Wellness Report, Vol. 14, No.2
Milk thistle is the common name of a plant known scientifically as Silybum marianum. This plant contains seven major compounds, the best understood of which are called silybin A, silybin B, isosilybin A, and isosilybin B.
What you need to know about Silymarin:
- stops cell signals to kill cancer cells
- prevents the creation of new blood vessels that feed tumor growth
- studies show it controls primary brain tumors (glioblastomas), skin cancers (incl. melanomas), leukemia and oral cancer.
Silymarin apparently suppresses the cell-signaling pathways that are critical to cancer initiation, proliferation (growth), invasion and spread (metastasis).
By suppressing virtually every signal the cancer cell needs for its growth, silymarin as well as other natural substances with similar properties make far more powerful anticancer compounds than toxic Chemotherapy.
Silymarin is extracted from the seed shell of the milk thistle plant. Studies on silymarin have shown that it has many beneficial medical properties, including:
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing oxidative stress
- Reducing lipid peroxidation
- Resisting bacteria
- Chelating (binding) iron
- Modulating immunity
- Inhibiting angiogenesis (creation of new blood vessels)
- Decreasing tumor invasion
- Counteracting multidrug resistance (MDR)
- Protecting normal tissues from chemotherapy drug damage
- Lowering prostate specific antigen (PSA)
- Protecting the brain
- Increasing tissue resistance against radiation (radioresistance)
- Sensitizing cancer cells to chemotherapy agents
Most of these benefits result from silymarin’s ability to alter various cell-signaling pathways that regulate cell function. This is particularly important for preventing and treating cancers. Another positive side effect is that it protects the liver against “Fatty Liver Disease”.